Saturday, July 23, 2011

Camp 3: English Camp

A major shift in gears!  We went from working with orphan children who don't speak the same language, to working with some of the most brilliant young adults in Ukraine.
After 4 long days of pre camp, the students arrived for a week of inductive Bible studies, outdoor challenges, specialized workshops, and fun activities.
I co-lead 4 girls through a Bible study each morning.  We studied a different passage of scripture each day, encouraging the students to look at the Word and discover its truth for themselves.  These were precious mornings as we shared our personal stories and our lives in light of the gospel.
I also taught a jazz dance workshop, which was loads of fun!  Each day we spent 2 hrs learning about the history of jazz and famous dancers, and then learned basic jazz steps which we combined into short routines.  I loved watching the students express themselves through movement, and getting to know them better through dance.


On a personal level, I struggled during this camp.  I felt literally burdened with longing for the new students I met and my friends from last year to have relationship with Jesus.  The previous orphan camps sobered me.  I didn't just want to add numbers to the "saved list."  I loved these people, and wanted the best for them, and the best is Jesus.  I was also tired, didn't want to fight through each day anymore, didn't want to open up and build new relationships with people anymore.  Hebrews 12 was well read in my Bible. 
This brought a lot of dirt in my life to the surface.  Daven reminded me of Psalm 127:1, "Unless the Lord builds the house, the workers labor in vain." and that worth is found in the Lord.  It's hard for me not to find my worth in other people, so this was the reminder I needed.  God worked out much in me through this camp, and set me free from things I didn't even know had bound me.
My favorite aspect of English camp was the deep conversations I had with many of the students.  Please pray God will work in their lives!



 

1 comment:

  1. hey abby am in love with this blog, you know i almost shed tears reading through those lines, it just felt like i was thrown back to those emotional moments when i had just returned...nice work dearie, miss you so much and hope we get to see again soon....)) dickson.

    ReplyDelete