Saturday, September 15, 2012

Of course I'm flexible.... it's Ukraine!

     So if you read my first post before going to Ukraine this summer (http://restoreukraine.blogspot.com/2012/07/here-we-go.html), you may be asking, "what happened to Yulia?" 
     Well, I never saw her.  We didn't go to Vovkavinci, again.  Please keep praying for her.
     
     So where DID we go for camp 2?  It's quite the story...

     I walked downstairs from our team's common room at Kharkov.  It was midway through the camp and I could tell- two flights of stairs and I was out of breath.
     It's going to be a long day if I'm already this exhausted.
     At the bottom of the stairs, I nearly ran into Jenya, who just returned from a grocery run with his hands full of of bags and a grin on his face.  
     "Hey girl!"
     "Jenya!"  
     I tried not to sound as relieved as I felt.  Camp needed Jenya's relentless energy and everyone's spirits dropped when Jenya left.
     "I got sausage."  He lifted one of the bags to show me as he passed by, but before he was three steps up, he stopped and turned to face me.
     "And we can't go to Vovkavinci.  There aren't enough kids.  The director cancelled camp today."
     What!?
     He reached down and ruffled my head.
     "Iz okay.  Just pray.  God will show us another camp."  And with a wink He continued up the stairs.
     We had four days to find another camp.

     Sure enough, we did.  It was a new location for HFO and Jenya had never been there before.  When anyone asked why Jenya chose an unknown orphanage on the other side of the country (seriously. here's a rough map of our trip from camp 1, to Kyiv, to camp 2), 
he simply responded, "when we get there, we will know."  
     God had laid this place on Jenya's heart, and though none of us knew why, we knew God had a plan.
     And did He ever.

2 comments:

  1. haha, reading this brings sweet memories about Ukraine and how flexible life is there. And Zhenya.....who else can give you better lessons on flexibility! =))))))))

    ReplyDelete